Free School Meals Letter to Parents
Is your child eligible for Free School Meals?
Your child may be eligible for free school meals if you (or the child themselves in their own right) is in receipt of any of the following benefits.
- Income Support (IS)
- Job Seekers' Allowance (Income-Based) and equal based Job Seekers Allowance.
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA-IR) and equal based Employment and Support Allowance.
- Child Tax Credit (CTC) with an Annual income of less than £16,190.
- Guarantee Element of Pension Credit (GPC)
- Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (IAA) Support
- Universal Credit (if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get))
Please note that anyone claiming Working Tax Credit, Contribution-Based Job Seeker's Allowance and/or Contribution-Based Employment and Support Allowance is NOT eligible for free school meals, regardless of what other benefits/credits are being claimed. However, you will be temporarily eligible to claim free school meals if you receive a Working Tax Credit run-on, which is the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
Universal Infant Free School Meals (UIFSM)
All Key Stage 1 (Reception, Year 1 and Year 2) pupils are entitled to receive a free school meal as part of the Universal Infant Free School Meals (UIFSM) initiative, regardless of what benefits are being claimed.
If you are in receipt of any of the benefits listed above which would entitle your child to free school meals anyway, your school may be entitled to claim Pupil Premium funding to support your child’s education, just by you completing an application form.
When you apply we will check your eligibility for free school meals (or Pupil Premium for KS1 pupils) by checking against those held by HM Revenue and Customs, The Home Office and the Department of Work and Pensions.
You can apply for free school meals (or Pupil Premium for KS1 pupils) online:
or to print an apllication form and send by post: